Saturday, January 15, 2011

What I miss about Texas

I've officially been here for one week.  Yesterday was my first day to feel any sort of homesickness.  I'm not quite sure when it hit me, but it did, that this isn't just a vacation (which is what it's felt like).  New York is fantastic; I'm so happy to be here and I know I'll continue to have a great time with my new friends and that they'll eventually start to feel like my family just like my friends back in Waco, but I can't help but be a little sad that I'm gone.

I'm mainly missing:

Family
Although I'm used to being away from my family, I always had way more time to talk to them while in Waco.  I'm just so busy in New York; I feel like I rarely talk to them.  We've been able to FaceTime with Bill's new iPhone, so hopefully that will turn into a weekend routine.

Friends
I miss my Waco family so much it's not even funny.  It's strange to be in a new place with none of my closest friends.  I keep wishing they were here with me to experience this city and go through the transition with me.  We've all been keeping in contact mainly by texting, but it's not the same.  Not having my favorite girls in my life and knowing what's going on in their lives just because I'm always with them is so weird :(

Boyfriend
Tyler and I are used to seeing each other pretty much every day.  And after spending a week with him between Chicago, Houston and Waco at the end of the break, coming to a hard stop like this doesn't seem real.  It's only been a week and a half, but it feels like it's been a month.  Hopefully he'll be able to come visit soon :)

Alpha Chi
This is pretty self explanatory.  We have a new pledge class.  I don't know any of them.  What the heck.

Mexican Food
For those of you who don't know me well, I could eat Mexican food all day, every day.  Right at this moment I'm craving Lupe Tortilla's fajitas AND Taco Z tacos.

Cycling
I've been forced to start running.  Gross.  I wish I could afford a gym membership here so I could take spinning classes.

Wearing one layer
Bundling up gets exhausting. All my roommates and I want to go to Pommes Frites right now, which only sells FRENCH FRIES (Heaven on Earth for me!), but we all lack the motivation to dress for the cold and go out.  I do love coats and sweaters, though.  It's a terrible dilemma.

Being grungy 
New Yorkers are always dressed up.  I feel like when I'm in Manhattan I need to be within a certain dress code.  Can I puh-LEASE just go out in sweats?!

On the flip side, there are many things I don't miss.  Such as:

Driving
Public transportation is great!

Humidity
At least for now, I know it'll be humid in the summers

Having nothing to do
You would have to be mentally insane to be bored in New York City

Ok.  I guess not that many.  At least for now.

These lists are subject to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment