Thursday, January 13, 2011

Happy to be home and safe!

The cough and runny nose I've had for the past three weeks finally got the best of me today, on my day off.  I gave in and found a doctor knowing she would only offer a little sympathy and a prescription for some cough medicine.  I chose a doctor's office a little less than 20 minutes away by subway; the best I could do.

I became skeptical about the doctor when I got off the subway.  I found myself in a really rundown part of town and five NYPD officers hanging around the street corner.  Instead of setting me at ease, it only freaked me out even more.  Why does one street corner need five officers?  Anyway, I found the doctors office and the receptionist was a nice young girl, maybe my age, and the doctor called me in right away.  The exam room was so strange.  It was messy and the doctor kept all of her examine equipment in plastic drawers that would normally only be found in a dorm room.  It didn't bother me that much because all I really needed was confirmation that I'm not deathly ill and get a prescription for cough medicine with codeine to help me sleep at night so I could move on with my life.  Which is exactly what I got.

On the way home I realized I was in the wrong subway station after I already swiped my metro card.  I had to cross the street in order to head to Long Island City, but the card scanner wouldn't let me in because I recently scanned it.  The F train headed to Queenboro Plaza was already there and took off before I could buy myself another metro card to let me into the station.  Annoying.  I waited for about 5 minutes by myself which really freaked me out.  An empty subway station is much for terrifying than a full subway station.  Once someone else finally showed up my fear of being pushed into the subway tracks heightened. This deserted station would definitely be the perfect place for it to happen.  The train finally came after about twenty minutes of waiting.

I thought I would never be so happy to see my apartment complex.  This was true for a few hours.

I've been dying to go to Target and the closest one is a half hour away.  I got directions from Walgreens so I could go right after dropping off my prescription.  Well, the subway was a 15 minute walk into another sketchy part of town.  There was a guy screaming obscenities at someone right at the entrance and I prayed the whole way from the entrance until my train came that he wouldn't be taking the same subway as me because he was that scary.  Luckily, he wasn't.  Anyway, the train took me to a THIRD scary part of town.  And when I say scary, I mean scary looking people mixed with scary looking buildings when I'm used to my quaint little Long Island City or the hustle and bustle of Manhattan.  I was terrified.  I was completely and utterly lost, but tried not to show it on my face, which is probably the hardest thing for me to do.  I wear my emotions and feelings.  I almost cried when I finally walked into Target. And I was even more relieved than earlier to get back to my apartment.

Today's takeaways:

1. Find a new doctor
2. Never go to Target ever again
3. Never go to an unknown part of town alone
4. Stay home and sleep on my days off


  1. Erica is out of suburbia!! I love it!! Don't be scared you are going to have the time of your life and I hope you feel better!!

  2. are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa ( ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

    if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.